Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weekly Review Methodology

So, working on our seventh month into The New 52, I have some opinions on them (and isn't it weird that my first post has nothing to do with The New 52 even though that's the blog title?!). I mentioned my thoughts previously on numbered reviews. So here's how I'm breaking down the comics.

Week by week. Grouped into four tiers.

-Comics that I believe strongly enough in to purchase for someone else
These are the comics I would purchase as a gift. I think these graphic novels are good enough for non-superhero fans to read. I want to keep reading these comics and have happily revisited them when I don't have fresh issues in my hand.

-Comics I think are good, but either too generic or too boring or too flawed to do more than recommend
This is the stuff I like and will continue to buy after I'm done with this project. These are the on-goings I support and leave me pleased enough to continue to give my money to DC after I no longer feel obligated to by this project. I want these books to continue. It's just that... you know, sometimes you're reading a book and you're like, "Well, that didn't make sense," or, "Oof, that's some bad art right there, how are they bending like that," or, "Yeah, someone slopped that together because of a deadline." But you still like the book and it's generally pretty good. And it's on your pull list for the next month for sure.

Sometimes at my LCS, people will see me with a stack of all the DC from the week (I'll have Marvel and whatever other books I want in my hands as well, but when you're holding 14+ issues of DC every week you tend to stick out). They will ask my opinion of a comic. If the comic is in the top two categories, I'll tell them to get it. If it's in the bottom two, I push 2-3 books from the top two on them instead.

-Comics I wouldn't mind letting you read at my place
Yeah, I bought it. Yeah, I'll revisit it during the project. No, I probably won't read it after that. And if you REALLY want to read it, you can borrow it. But you gotta convince me you want to read it and prove that you've read everything from my top two categories first. I will probably not continue to purchase these books after the project is done.

-Comics I wish I hadn't purchased and won't let you read even if we're bored at my place and you want to read them
I'm mad I spent money on these comics. I finish the book and feel angry I spent my time reading it. I'm floored these collections of talent are working on these books sometimes, and sometimes I'm in shock that this is publishable writing. Honestly, these are the books that, when I'm done reading them, I find Jillian and tell her, "I can't believe these guys are writing comics and I'm not." These are the books I find insultingly bad.

Right? Those seem pretty accurate. Those labels actually mean something. I've got some definitions for you. So let's work from here.

Additionally, I'm going to group comics by how they are coming out weekly at this point in groups of 13. This is simply to help with grouping. Batgirl and Red Lanterns switched places, for example, so I'm grouping them with their current weekly productions. Justice League will be kept in Week 3. If there are other discrepancies, I'll try to keep them pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment